Posted on: November 16, 2021
The Payroll Specialist is a member of the Payroll team which is
a part of the Finance department. He or she is responsible for the
accurate processing and recording of payroll, providing timely and
accurate financial information and participating in daily data
entry for payroll processing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform daily Payroll department operations, including prepping
for payrolls utilizing multiple pay frequencies, payroll
incentives, reimbursements, final and manual checks.
- Enter new employees and rehires into order entry system.
- Prepare badges for new employees.
- Verify pay rate changes and process retroactive increases as
- Manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are
processed accurately and timely.
- Reconcile and validate timesheets prior to transmittal to
- Reconcile and audit payroll prior to transmission and validate
post payroll reports.
- Understand proper taxation of employer paid benefits.
- Process garnishment calculations and maintain compliance.
- Review and submit 401(k) data according to company and plan
- Review and submit Worker's Compensation reporting data.
- Assists with internal and external audits of records, paid time
off balances, workers compensation, tax filings, 401(k) and other
related documentation (compliance).
- Prepare certified payroll documents as required for prevailing
- Assist with quarterly wage and tax filing requirements,
balancing and year end reporting.
- Maintain payroll files, both paper and electronic
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work
procedures, and instructions.
- Partner with HR on matters such as leaves and
- Assist with other special payroll tasks and duties as
- Act as backup for other members of the Payroll department
- Respond to payroll inquires by employees by maintaining
excellent customer service.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, clients, and others in
a courteous and professional manner.
- Expedite the resolution of customer problems and complaints to
- Must be punctual at all times. If an emergency arises, inform
the Manager immediately, so that appropriate coverage can be
- Must be courteous, helpful, and professional to all existing
and potential internal and external customers. Training:
- Complete self-initiated training necessary to remain current on
payroll practices and labor laws.
- Provide input and direction to teammates on enhancing the
- Promote Corovan's Mission and Vision Statements.
- Continuously promotes compliance with company policies and
- Assist in the review of current payroll processes to identify
areas of process improvements and standardization.
- Safeguard all confidential information.
- Conform to all safety rules and use all appropriate safety
- Other duties may be assigned, as needed or warranted, by
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
- CUSTOMER SERVICE- Manages difficult or emotional customer
situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer
feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and
assistance; meets commitments.
- TEAMWORK - Balances team and individual responsibilities;
exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and
welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit;
puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and
group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's
efforts to succeed.
- ORGANIZATION SKILLS - Organization skills, attention to
details, and the ability to prioritize in a changing
- INTERPERSONAL SKILLS - Strong interpersonal (verbal and
written) communication skills, positive attitude, flexibility, and
an eagerness to learn new things.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS - Ability to read and interpret documents
written in English such as procedures, work instructions, and
timesheets. Ability to effectively communicate with customers and
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and
divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common
fractions, and decimals. Weighing and measurement of boxes.
- REASONING ABILITY - Ability to apply common sense understanding
to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram
form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete
variables in standardized situations.
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS - Ability to effectively communicate with
potentially stressful and/or emotional situations. Outstanding
customer oriented skills. Ability to communicate with various
levels of management.
- OTHER DUTIES:
- Able to work independently.
- Solid time management skills with the ability to prioritize
- Decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Maintain reliable work product and attendance.
- Requires effective decision-making skills for handling customer
and teammate escalations. Calm, thoughtful response capability that
displays the ability to treat everyone with respect and arrive at
win-win solutions. EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. required; or an equivalent of
education and work experience.
- Three - five (3-5) years' experience of payroll processing with
high employee volume.
- Experience with integrated payroll systems required.
- Working knowledge of UltiPro payroll and Kronos
- Strong knowledge of federal and state wage and tax laws, FLSA
and overtime requirements.
- Experience integrating within a team in high-demand,
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Intermediate in MS Excel. Preferred:
- Prevailing wage and Certified Payroll experience.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish. PRIMARY LOCATION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Individuals are required to be
able to sit or stand for long periods as needed throughout the
- Walking: May require walking primarily on a level surface, but
may include walking on uneven or inclined surfaces for lengthy
periods throughout the day, often up and down stairs.
- Handling: Seizes, helps or works with hands.
- Lifting: Proper lifting techniques required. May include
lifting up to 30 pounds, and pushing or pulling up to 20 pounds
throughout the day.
- Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction, reaching
above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as
- Standing: Remains in standing position if required to perform
various functions of the job.
- Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees
or waist, including but not limited to, twisting, kneeling
throughout the day.
- Vision: Reads paperwork and records on the computer.
- Talking: Communications by phone and in person.
- Sitting: Sits at desk.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. This list is not all
- Temp/Weather: Works in either 1) Office environment - for the
most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional
office equipment, or 2) Warehouse - may be exposed to cold
temperature, or 3) Outside - may be exposed to wet and/or humid
conditions, outside weather conditions and extreme cold.
- Noise: Works in office, warehouse or outside environment, with
constant or intermittent noise.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
- This is a full-time, regular position.
- Employees might be required to work late evenings or weekends
depending on the business needs.
- All Overtime must be approved by manager before working.
- Because of Human Resources and Accounting interactions, the
work needs to be conducted in the office location of 12302 Kerran
Street, Poway, CA 92064.
The Company provides equal employment opportunities to all
employees and applicants for employment and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race,
color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status,
genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state or local laws.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with
or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Keywords: Corovan, Poway , Payroll Specialist, Accounting, Auditing , Poway, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!