Company: Corovan Corporation
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Reporting to the Controller, the Accounting Manager is an
integral part of the department responsible for managing the
accounting department to provide technical and administrative
management for Billing General Accounting, and Accounts Receivable.
This role also serves as an internal consultant for managers within
the organization, advising them of current work order information
and working with managers to create a fiscal strategy that aligns
with the goals of the organization.The Accounting Manager is
responsible for managing the billing, cash applications and
accounts receivable collection functions. The Accounting Manager
will be responsible for ensuring that the billing for all legal
entities is accurate and timely and performing other accounting
responsibilities while maintaining the highest level of integrity
and responsiveness for both internal and external
customers.Accounting Manager will be responsible for managing a
portion of the general accounting functions for several legal
entities, while maintaining the highest level of integrity and
responsiveness for both internal and external customers.This
position will be responsible for business process change management
in support of the new ERP system including the communication plan
to motivate the team for a successful implementation by building
enthusiasm and momentum for new electronic processes.In addition,
this position also has a significant revenue role in insuring the
internal financial statements are issued in accordance with the
financial close calendar and ASC 606.This position will also have
the responsibility for developing and implementing strategies to
improve employee engagement to foster a positive work environment
for their direct reports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:Accounting Duties:
- Develop and compile monthly productivity measurements for the
billing team to monitor processing volume and accuracy
- Responsible for supervising accounting procedures, including
monitoring and improving internal and process controls. Prepare or
supervise the preparation of complex customized invoicing to
specific customers including ensuring that invoices are uploaded to
customer portals as required.
- Work closely with sales and operations teams to ensure that
purchase orders are received as required and that customers are set
up correctly in both Great Plains and other order entry systems to
ensure that customers are invoiced in accordance with contract
- Prepare journal entries, lead, and perform monthly accounting
functions including the preparation of balance sheet account
reconciliations as assigned.
- Lead monthly financial review meetings as needed.
- Define and execute procedures for work-in-process accounting,
month-end financial close, and periodic analysis.
- Attend quarterly business reviews with customers as
- Ensure that all pricing changes are entered into the system
correctly and that required notifications are sent to customers, as
provided per customer contracts and reporting periodic price
increases to the operations team.
- Prepare incentive calculations for billing team members as
- Advise management on matters of fiscal procedure and importance
for the organization.
- Lead the collections department to maximize cash flow.
- Act as a backup to all aging meetings and ensure that all
action items are followed-up, holding assigned accountable for
- Oversee collection reports to ascertain status of collection
and balance outstanding and to evaluate effectiveness of current
collection policy and procedures.
- Oversee delinquent accounts considered to be uncollectible;
ensure maximum efforts have been taken before assigning bad credit
status to account.
- Lead and motivate collections staff (2-3 collectors) to achieve
company goals. Ensure that the collections department is responding
timely and appropriately to calls and emails according to state
goals and expectations.
- Sales commission back up to payroll manager - preliminary sales
report due on the 15th of the month.
- Prepare operations performance reports such as job costs and
- Support internal and external financial statement preparation
- Assist as necessary with annual review by outside CPA firm and
other audits by customers and government agencies.
- Engage in critical and confidential aspects of accounting
including the preparation of analytical reports and forecasts as
- Audit the work of the billing team, as any errors could have a
significant impact on revenue.
- Ensure compliance with the financial procedures of the
- Responsible to staff open positions in compliance with company
growth objectives to maintain the highest possible level of
employee morale and department productivity. Includes participating
in interviewing, hiring, training, discipline, and termination
responsibilities, and partnering with human resources to complete
the Career Mobility process for designated employees.
- Partners with Human Resources to handle feedback, coaching,
discipline, and termination of employees in accordance with company
- Lead the Accounting teams of both direct and indirect reports
to perform daily functions of billing, collections and cash
- Provide supervisory coaching and guidance to the Accounting
- Develop performance standards to measure and give feedback to
each employee and provide annual performance reviews to each team
member including providing any necessary coaching and
- Manage timekeeping system approvals to ensure payroll and
timesheets are accurate for their direct reports and manage
- Organizes and oversees the work schedules of employees.
- Update monthly department SMART goals in the Ally software
program. Act as a catalyst for change and improvement in
performance and quality utilizing Six Sigma methodology. Ensure
established policies and procedures are adhered to in accordance
with company procedures and guidelines.
- Provide leadership to the team and set a culture of engaging
and respecting employees.Customer Relations:
- Act as a point of contact for all accounting escalation issues
and resolve them in a timely manner. Must be courteous, helpful,
and professional to all existing and potential customers, by
interacting with customers in person and via telephone, fax, and
email to ensure complete customer satisfaction in all matters
related to the operation.
- Maintain excellent customer service with the customers,
vendors, sales, transportation, and operation teams to establish
- Participate and lead Six Sigma projects, as required to improve
processes and efficiencies.
- Determine the training needs of team and may provide
- Accountable for the management and development of the
- Promote Corovan's Mission and Vision Statements.
- Continuously promotes compliance with company policies and
- Ensure interactions with staff and customers are professional
at all times to promote company's values and expectations.
- Proactively engage team to promote a positive work environment,
by developing and implementing engagement plans to retain
- Aligning the culture of the department with the overall company
strategy and structure.
- Ensure the highest standards of safety, productivity and
customer service are exceedingly daily.
- Other duties to meet business needs and requirements as
- Works with confidential data, which, if disclosed, might have
significant internal or external effect.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending
educational workshops; reviewing professional publications;
establishing personal networks; participating in professional
societies.QUALIFICATIONS:To perform this job successfully, an
individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.COMPETENCIES:
- ORGANIZATION SKILLS - Organization skills, attention to
details, and the ability to prioritize in a changing environment.
Excellent team organizational skills.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS - Ability to read and interpret documents
written in English such as procedures, work instructions, and
timesheets. Ability to effectively communicate with customers and
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and
divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common
fractions, and decimals.
- REASONING ABILITY - Ability to apply common sense understanding
to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram
form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete
variables in standardized situations.
- LEADERSHIP - Strong interpersonal, training and leadership
skills. Ability to motivate team to accomplish objectives.
- TEAMWORK - Dedicated team player. Strong collaboration skills,
ability to work effectively in a team environment as a positive
team player and provide superior customer support. Excellent
teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS - Ability to effectively communicate with
potentially stressful and/or emotional situations.
- OTHER SKILLS:
- Ability to successfully interact with all levels of the
operations and finance team on complex business issues. A complete
understanding of the business operations and interactions with
accounting is essential.
- Exceptional problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to multitasking and able to meet deadlines.
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Excellent customer service skills and interpersonal skills.
- Project and team management/leadership skills and experience.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with
- Capability of effective planning and priority setting.
- Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while
working under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Excellent analytical ability.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Familiarity with six-sigma or other quality improvement
- Ability to handle and safeguard sensitive and confidential
information.EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:Required:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting or Finance is required; or a
combination of education and equivalent experience may be
substituted for Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum seven (7) years' experience in accounting and financial
- Strong supervisory or managerial skills to lead a Billing or
- Strong experience with ERP systems such as Great Plains, or
- Experience working on software implementations, including new
accounting software or ERP systems.
- Experience leading change management with new ERP Systems.
- Experience in a senior or leadership role.
- Advanced MS Excel knowledge.
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Active Certified Public Accountant certification.
- Service industry experience highly desirable.
- Experience with process improvement teams.PRIMARY
PHYSICAL DEMANDS:The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Individuals are required to be able to sit or stand for long
periods as needed throughout the day.
- Walking: May require walking primarily on a level surface but
may include walking on uneven or inclined surfaces for lengthy
periods throughout the day, often up and down stairs.
- Handling: Seizes, helps, or works with hands.
- Lifting: Proper lifting techniques required. May include
lifting up to 25 pounds of boxes when needed.
- Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction, reaching
above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required.
- Standing: Remains in standing position if required to perform
various functions of the job.
- Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees
- Vision: Reads paperwork and records on the computer.
- Talking: Communications by phone and in person.
- Sitting: Required to sit at desk. Sit for long periods of
WORK ENVIRONMENT:The work environment characteristics described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. This list is not
- Temp/Weather: Works in either 1) Office environment - for the
most part ambient room temperatures, lighting, and traditional
office equipment, and 2) Warehouse - may be exposed to cold
temperature, and 3) Outside - may be exposed to wet and/or humid
conditions, outside weather conditions and extreme cold.
- Noise: Works in office, warehouse or outside environment, with
constant or intermittent noise.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
- This is a full-time, exempt position.
- Employees may be required to work late evenings or weekends
depending on the business needs.
- Because of sales and accounting interactions, the work needs to
be conducted in the office location of 12302 Kerran Street, Poway,
TRAVEL:Monthly travel to company and/or customer sites in Orange
County and the Bay area may be required.
AAP/EEO STATEMENT:The Company provides equal employment
opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment
activities and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type,
based on their actual or perceived: race, religious creed, color,
national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical
condition, genetic information, marital status (including
registered domestic partnership status), sex and gender (including
pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions),
gender identity and gender expression (including transgender
individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are
perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they
identify), age (40 and over), sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol
status, military and veteran status and any other consideration
protected by federal, state or local law (collectively referred to
as "protected characteristics").OTHER DUTIES:Please note this job
description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive
listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required
of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and
activities may change at any time with or without notice.REASONABLE
ACCOMMODATIONS:Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with
DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other
manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they
have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the
pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have
access to the compensation information of other employees or
applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot
disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals
who do not otherwise have access to compensation information,
unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or
charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding,
hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the
employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to
furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Keywords: Corovan Corporation, Poway , Accounting Manager, Accounting, Auditing , Poway, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!