Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) Engineer
Company: GENERAL ATOMICS
Posted on: November 16, 2021
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of
the world's leading resources for high-technology systems
development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted
aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic,
wireless and laser technologies.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Instrumentation
and Controls Engineer as part of the Engineering and Projects team
in our Magnetic Fusion Energy Group. This Position with limited
direction is responsible for detailed hardware and software design
of process automation control system projects, as well as, defining
architecture requirements, developing detailed software design
specifications, programming PLC, DCS, and PC based automation and
control applications, and providing control system startup services
and troubleshooting existing control systems to design development
of fusion-device diagnostic measurement systems. The ideal
candidate will be responsible for development, testing, and
implementation of instrumentation and controls, and supports
resolution of unusual or complex problems. Major areas of
development include monitoring and controlling laser, visible and
IR imaging, and microwave systems, including electrical power
systems, and data link, data base, storage and retrieval
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop project documentation (specifications, design
development and acceptance test plans, IO lists, device list, scope
of work, etc.)
- Develop and troubleshoot PLC & HMI applications as
- Design control systems, networks and control panels
- Participate with team of project engineers to develop projects
- Effectively communicate technical solutions for control system
- Able to interpret P&ID drawings and specifications,
electrical design, network design, PLC & HMI development and
- Develop control philosophies based on project scope and
- Remain pro-active with all automation & control,
instrumentation, maintenance codes, regulations, and industry
- Provides technical coordination of scientists, engineers and
- Evaluates and guides electrical, mechanical, and software
detailed designs to ensure system-level requirements are met.
Troubleshoots conflicting and difficult coordination requirements
to support design development and system implementation.
- Devises new and unique approaches to resolve complex
engineering and computer problems based on diagnostic system
performance requirements and existing diagnostic system controls
and data acquisition hardware.
- Documents findings, communicates results to engineering staff,
management and customer through technical presentations and
- Performs other duties as assignedWe recognize and appreciate
the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds
and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree,
masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical
discipline from an accredited institution and progressive
engineering experience as follows; twelve or more years of
experience with a bachelors degree, ten or more years of experience
with a masters degree, or seven or more years with a PhD. May
substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of
- Must have a thorough understanding of engineering and computer
science concepts, principles, and theory; experience demonstrating
a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of
principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical
- Experience with programming PLC/DCS and Human Machine Interface
(HM) applications is required. Experience with IEC 61131 adherent
controllers and programming environments is required.
- Experience with C, and C++ programming is required. Experience
with Python programming is desirable.
- Experience using, programming and interfacing with relational
databases is a plus.
- Experience with Solidworks Electrical is a plus.
- Must have a good understanding of electrical control panels,
and the NFPA NEC and UL 508 standards. Understanding of European
equivalents and CE standards is a plus.
- Must have experience with electronics development and testing
with knowledge of controllers and PID (Proportional Integral
Derivative) control loops.
- Knowledge of and experience with serial and network interface
communication is required.
- Familiarity with Enterprise Architect, Unified Modeling
Language, and LABVIEW is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) design and
programming is desirable.
- Experience in generating engineering estimates, organizing,
scheduling, and coordinating work phases, tracking project status,
and tracking development budgets is required.
- Must have strong communication, computer, documentation,
presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work
independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks
in one or more engineering areas; capable of representing the
organization as a prime technical contact and, lead a team of
moderately experienced professional employees on component
Keywords: GENERAL ATOMICS, Poway , Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) Engineer, Engineering , Poway, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!