Nuclear Engineer - Safety
Company: GENERAL ATOMICS
Posted on: January 8, 2022
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of
the world's leading resources for high-technology systems
development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted
aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic,
wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and
manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power
generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized
products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet,
space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy,
and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial,
and commercial customers worldwide.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of
individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome
all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting position for a Nuclear Safety
Engineer to support our Nuclear Technologies and Materials (NTM)
division in San Diego, CA. Under general supervision with limited
review, this position is responsible for determining and analyzing
reactor thermal designs and safety to develop advanced core design
technical and engineering solutions to meet challenging
requirements for the GA-EMS Fast Modular Reactor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work is reviewed at milestones or completion for adequacy in
- Provides practical support solutions to technical engineering
problems in reactor thermal and safety design and operation to
support startup, full power operation, shutdown, and accident
response on the nuclear reactor core and supporting heat transfer
- Documents findings and communicates reports and technical
presentations at engineering meetings, and participates in program
- Provides support to other less experienced staff members
working on engineering analyses for thermal/fluids analysis,
nuclear systems evaluations and core/assembly analysis.
- Supports future NTM engineering needs and the modifications
required to accomplish technical goals.
- Addresses technical issues utilizing standard engineering and
scientific principles to ensure accuracy, completeness, and
timeliness of work.
- May assume technical and engineering responsibility for the
success of key projects.
- Is the focal point for technical communication within the
Company management and may represent the Company as a technical
contact to customers and/or government regulatory agencies.
- May coordinate segments of a specific project and may have
frequent inter-organization and customer contact on technical
- Provides direction to design or technical staff and may provide
direction to less experienced professional staff.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive
- Works in a safe manner in accordance with established operating
procedures and practices
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree,
masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical
discipline from an accredited institution and progressive
engineering experience as follows; four or more years of experience
with a bachelors degree or two or more years of experience with a
masters degree. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in
lieu of education.Must have a complete understanding of engineering
concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a
broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of
principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly;
apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize,
schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the
appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the
project level to provide solutions to a range of complex
- Must have excellent communication, computer, documentation,
presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work
independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks
in one engineering area; and, lead a team of less experienced
professional employees on semi-routine tasks.
- Must possess general based knowledge of reactor design and some
specialized knowledge of nuclear safety analysis during startup,
operation, and accidents which should include some of the
- Thermal/Fluids analysis - systems analysis and evaluations of
thermal-fluid systems including active and passive residual heat
- Nuclear systems evaluations - steady state operation,
reactivity transients, loss of flow and loss of coolant evaluations
and protection systems response.
- Radiological dose assessment - radiation dose assessment from
direct, inhalation, and ingestion pathways
- Core/Assembly analysis - reactor core, fuel assembly and fuel
rod/plate analysis, fuel temperature evaluation, radiative heat
transfer, and pressure loss evaluation.
- Computer code expertise including MACCS, RELAP, TRACE, MELCOR
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- Prior experience operating a research, test, US Navy, or
commercial nuclear reactor is desirable.
- A Professional Engineering License is desirable.
- Ability to obtain and maintain DoD Security Clearance. A DoD
Secret level clearance is desirable.
- US Citizenship is required.
Keywords: GENERAL ATOMICS, Poway , Nuclear Engineer - Safety, Engineering , Poway, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!