Surgical Technologist II
Posted on: March 8, 2023
Job Summary: Under close supervision, assists during surgery as
a member of the surgical team by preparing and organizing operating
room prior to surgery, selecting and passing instruments during
surgical procedures, maintaining operating room in aseptic
condition following established policies and procedures; and
assists with patient care during and after surgery Conforms to
prescribed policies and procedures regarding aseptic techniques.
Maintains cooperative, courteous relationship with the patients,
public, and other -personnel.Essential Responsibilities:
- Assists physician during surgery as a member of surgical
- Passes instruments and supplies as directed. Scrubs and
conforms to sterile technique for each procedure.
- Assists in draping the patient.
- Provides proper retraction of tissue.
- At the direction of the surgeon, can hold retractor (but cannot
- Assists in controlling hemostasis by applying a Bovie to a
clamp as the direction of the surgeon.
- Assists with sponging, suctioning, and performing sponge,
needle/sharp, and instrument counts.
- Prepares suture for closure of surgical incision.
- Applies proper surgical dressing as directed by physician
(wound healing and dressings).
- Recognizes, responds to, and assists in acute emergency
situations following established procedures and policies.
- Hold and position video camera under direction of the
- Check surgeons preference cards and prepare sterile setup for
- Count with circulating nurse, before she/he preps the
- Be accountable for items required for documentation on that
- Anticipate wants of surgeon and keep adequate sutures and
- Keep Mayo Stand and Back table neat and orderly, make sure that
there are no loose needles on the field.
- Confirm all specimens with the surgeon.
- Handoff specimens to the circulator prior to the end of the
case or earlier if direction of the surgeon.
- Takes all instruments to workroom for washing or places in cart
to return to SPD.
- Remove suction bottles, etc., disposes of any contaminated
- Adheres to methods of sterilization, disinfecting, antisepsis &
- Packaging, storing and dispensing surgery supplies.
- Principals for maintaining environmental safety: including
handing of surgical specimens and body fluids.
- Required counts.
- Electrical and radiation hazards, fire safety.
- Drains, tubes, and collection mechanisms, catheters.
- Modes of transportation to and from the O.R., including ICU
- Patient care and emergency procedures.
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Assists surgeons with surgical procedures, in other patient
areas according to patient needs, i.e. toucheostoy and PDA repair
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- Additional Surgical Technologist II duties include:
- -Restocking surgical supplies
- -Assisting in creating inventory lists
- -Assisting with setting par levels (so co-workers can also
- -Assisting with education and in-services when requesting by
management and co-workers
- -Works with management on re-organization of work environment /
- -Takes call
- -Ability to scrub all cases
- -Acts as preceptor/trainee for surgical technician students and
new surgical technician staffBasic Qualifications:Experience
- One (1) year of operating room or military equivalent
experience in scrub role within the last two (2) years or recent
completion of operating room training program.Education
- N/A.License, Certification, Registration
- Surgical Technologist Certificate within 6 months of hire from
National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
- Basic Life Support -Additional Requirements:
- Ability to scrub all types of surgical cases except open heart.
- N/A. - -Notes: -
- Scheduled work hours per week will be 20-32. -Job Schedule: Job
Category: Clinical Support, Surgical Technician
Keywords: Kaiser, Poway , Surgical Technologist II, Healthcare , Poway, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...